Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jasmine's Birdy birthday party

A little bird told me........... this is what inspired me to create my niece Jasmine's birthday party a few weeks ago. I love, LOVE Tasha's work from A little sweetness, this lady truly inspires me and I loved working with her gorgeous art to create my nieces party. It was perfect for what I had in mind for a 2 year old's birthday. Tasha sells all sorts of gorgeous goodies, but beware, once you are in her shop you won't be able to leave!!


My biggest dilema was that Jasmine's birthday is only 3 short days from Christmas, I wanted a birthday theme that could be used for Christmas (I wanted to re-use a lot of the birthday elements) without Jasmine's birthday being too "Christmassy". I uhmmed and ahhhed a lot over the colour scheme, should it be green and red, no I want pink and green, it drove me to distraction. After doing some "homework" I was inspired by Amy Atlas's Wedding library dessert table I love the soft colours Amy used and the feather details on the table. I chose pale blue, red, white and natural because I already had some of the bird elements at home and I felt the colours were nice and fresh for our hot Ozzy sun.

This is my favourite food item on the table, "chicks on sticks" inspired by Bakerella's Spring Chicken pops. Some other foods were "worms" (sausages), "crows feet" (choc covered pretzels), "twigs" (bread sticks), "Magpies" (Aussie mini pies), "bird nests" (mini meringue with malteser eggs) and "Polly's crackers" (Sesame cracker biccies)

Since the party would consist only of 6 children I didn't want a huge dessert table instead I opted for something smaller like the antique drawer unit, chair and stand combo above. It worked quite well I think, even thought I was very nervous the week before I kept thinking this is NOT going to work and nearly canned the whole idea about 3 times lol

I didn't have much time till the party so I bought my bird gingerbread cookies from Dolls at the mount, not only were they yummy but they looked cute too. I hung some bird cookies from the branches above the table and some I popped under the glass dome (to keep them fresh).

The birthday cake was inspired by the invitation designed by Tasha, a lovely chocolate buttercream sponge covered in white chocolate fondant. The bird and mushroom topper I made to match Tasha's bird drawing, isn't it cute? I love it! Instead of ribbon I covered the bottom of the cake with feathers.

The chidren drank "GOOSEberry" juice from vintage bottles with custom a little sweetness bottle lables and cute stripey straws.

How cute are these cupcakes, I've always loved Natasha Collins from Amelie's House and was inspired by her Rockin Robin cupcakes. The toppers are made from edible fondant paper (using Tasha's bird drawing) and the vanilla butttercream cupcakes are encased in Kat and Nat's famous bird cupcake wrappers (from The Cupcake wrapper co)

On the main table I popped a white tablecloth on which I attached a feather boa. The eating bowls were mini baskets (like nests) and I popped the bird house boxes inside which are treat boxes but also served as name place cards.

Above the table I suspended some bird garlands made from twine, scrap ribbon and cardboard birds painted in blue, white, red and some left natural.

I used bamboo cuttlery for the party and used Kikki K's VAR bird stamp to personalise the spoons. Napkins and plates from Provincial living, baskets and cuttlery from Wheel & Barrow

Here are my bird house treat boxes (inspired by Torie Jayne's gingerbread house) ready to go home with the party guests (see tutorial below) Each one is made using cardboard and fabric scraps I had lying around the house , bargain! You can also view my photo's on my FACEBOOK page.

14 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH OH MY GOSH!!!! That is the cutest party EVER!!! I am absolutely amazed at what you put together and honored that my artwork would be a part of it. Seriously, you are so talented Leoni!! The idea of using the furniture is adorable and the whole set up is one of the cutest I've seen. I love how it has a cutesy-vintage feel. Like you're in a sweet little shop, but it's a party! The cake...AMAZING!, the cupcakes...adorable, the treat boxes....oh my goodness! Everything, I LOVE it all so very much!! Can you tell?? ;) Thank you for thinking of me for your party...seriously. :)

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, thank YOU Tasha for your lovely artwork I LOVED working with it, its so fresh, darling and super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! Leoni! that is amazing! You definatly have a talent for making brilliant set up for parties! Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the feature on HWTM. What an adorable and sweet party you hosted:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just gorgeous, so beautiful..I love the cake stand with the bird on it too, do you mind me asking where that was from, all of it very creative, I love it..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone, LittleBigCompany, the stand is from The Greenery nursery, a nursery here in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing! My daughter has been asking for a bird themed birthday (for her 6th) and you've given me a ton of ideas! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It all looks so gorgeous, I love what you did with the bird house pattern.
    Have a sweet day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! You are one talented and creative person!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I saw this party on Tasha's blog and couldn't get over how adorable it was! You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely stunning! Congratulations on such beautiful work done in such a short time!!

    ReplyDelete